Friday, August 7, 2009

My First Post!

Today was such a holiday!

Out of randomness we watched a movie and wow, the cinema was really beautiful, clean, modern, and each movie ticket cost only SGD2.20!

I've always found it a waste of money to watch movies in Singapore...but not here!!



We watched Up, and I really enjoyed it cos I thought it was pretty philosophical and meaningful. I like the idea of how something once so sweet and beautiful could end up being a burden. But just let go of it...let go...and you'd never know how high you could fly again, if only you'd just let go =)

This is a random tree I saw on campus, I thought it was beautiful despite its nakedness.


Today there was also a wedding held in one of the nearby houses...so we decided to crash it. Didn't stay for long though, cos we were rudely underdressed for the occasion and felt pretty extra.
Didn't get to see much interesting stuff, but instead sat through 4 incomprehensible (and hence extremely boring) speeches.


The decoration was beautiful though...that's the beauty of handmade stuff (especially stuff made from trees and leaves, just like the Baci ceremony in Laos).



In the evening we went to this Indian restaurant to satisfy Shalina's craving for Indian food (she's an Indian Muslim). It was really, beautiful and quite high-end according to Indonesian standards. 4-6 SGD per meal brings you to an extremely posh restaurant like this (Typically, you can fill your stomach with $1).



It had beautiful murals too...


It was a restaurant that attracted many foreigners and expats...and I guess somehow we just became part of that "foreigner" and "expat" culture.

I always feel guilty when I do that though...somehow I think it's terrible to be enjoying good food when people are sleeping on the streets caked with dust?

Today on the bus, there was a young girl singing and clapping. She sang a very nice song with a very sweet voice, and I thought she was just a happy girl sitting at the back of the bus.

But later on I realized she was a singer-beggar, one of the many street kids in Indonesia. When she stretched out her hand for money I was too shocked to even respond. She looked sad...cos no one gave her any money.

I promise to give some money to child singers on the bus next time...

It's kind of an unfair world.

No comments:

Post a Comment