Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Advertising in Yogyakarta.

I was on the main street today waiting for the bus to school to arrive as usual, when this woman approached me with a flyer.
It was about the new motorcycle shop which opened recently, and the flyer was to increase awareness of the place. It's hard to ignore it when it's the new-looking building right smack in the middle of a street of old-looking buildings.

This teenage girl smiled at me, and told me (while handing me the flyer) about the motorcycle shop (full of Yamaha motorcycles). She proceeded to ask for my name, handphone number and address. I gave my name (I gave her my middle name) and address (I didn't even give my full address - I just pointed down my street and said I live at no 4), but not my number.

After that encounter, a lorry with a Yamaha motorcycle strapped at the back drove slowly past. There was a loudhailer on top of the lorry, and the person behind the loudhailer was announcing the presence of the new Yamaha motorcycle shop.

Talk about extreme advertising.
In just 5 minutes, there were flyers, a public event (the lorry's display of the motorcycle) and the gathering of information from potential customers.
I don't know whether to be impressed, because as the consumer, these actions are irritating. However, as a person who has been trained to market products to a certain group of people, this is very efficient.

That is in addition to all the billboards that are on the street. I think it's a case of information overload.

No comments:

Post a Comment