Saturday, August 8, 2009

My First Day in Indonesia.

(Batam and Bintan don't really count)

I landed in Yogyakarta and saw the red and white flag fluttering without any stars or crescent on it and I felt my heart skip a beat. I thought it was a dream.

My first hour was kind of dreamlike; I meandered my way through the Immigration department, relying on my limited fluency of Bahasa Indonesia to get through. Shalina and Fengyi were welcome faces in a crowd. I was the last to arrive among the 3 of us.

They whisked me off to supermarkets, my rumah kos (perfectly local, by the way) and the kartu telepon shop. They actually had an itinerary planned for me.
We spent most of our travelling time on bus 7 (probably my favourite bus). It goes to UGM and Tigalima (where Shalina and Fengyi currently reside), and cost Rp 2,500 no matter the distance. Things were informal. Fares can be collected during the journey or after the journey. I wonder why people didn't leap off the bus to avoid paying fares, since the bus doors are always open. Fengyi's new cup almost fell off the bus due to some violent rumblings of the bus.
Note to self: hands should be tightly on bags/belongings while on bus.

The person in charge of my rumah kos is Ibu Agus and she seems to be a very sweet natured person, and she has thoughtfully laid out some utensils for me as well as to clean my room pretty well. Around me are local students. I'm still feeling pretty shy so I am hiding in my room. Maybe I shall emerge from it soon, when my command of language is a lot better.

I love supermarkets. They reflect the culture of a society through the things on sale there.
Photobucket
Avocados!

We spied some durians at Giant. Fengyi and I are going to sneak some back and eat it without Shalina knowing (since the latter hates the fruit).

No comments:

Post a Comment