Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pollutants and Chipped Pavements.

The air here is super polluted. Everyday after I come back from school/wherever, I find stuff in my piece of tissue paper when I blow my nose. Clouds of exhaust (visible dust particles) float up from exhaust pipes. People here can use bensin, the same unfiltered stuff found along the streets of Phnom Penh. Filters are not fitted onto exhaust pipes and the public transport system is terrible - thus everybody gets around using motorcycles. Many people do this.

The thing about Yogyakarta is that it is also walker-unfriendly. The pavements are uneven and at every corner, becak guys ask if I need a (overpriced) ride to somewhere. It's either the becak guys, the busboys or the taxi drivers. Also, the sun is scorchingly hot, but I will don a cap when it gets too hot for me. Nobody seems to believe that I decided to walk because I wanted to look closer at each shop that will pass unnoticed if I was on some sort of transport. How does one see a city in a car? A city is best seen on foot. I probably also need to get some exercise after my meal.

The pair of shoes I brought over from Singapore is almost worn out now and I already have another (sturdier) pair waiting in the wings. That's from stepping on the stubble along the streets from the chipped pavements - there's really too many to avoid. I'll thank my lucky stars that I don't kick any of those stones while walking (and I can walk very quickly). Unlike in Cambodia, people should wear shoes here because of these stones on the pavement.

Clothes are surprisingly expensive in Yogyakarta. I found out too late today. A top is probably around the same price as in Singapore, maybe SLIGHTLY cheaper. One of my teachers says she does not buy clothes here, but in Jakarta. Shalina says Bandung is the place to shop as all the factory outlets are there. I think a plan to go there in late November might be in order (after our papers are due). However, Yogyakarta is the place for batik. YAY! I love BATIK to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment